Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now the Fog is Gone

This morning I was revamping my research proposal, which actually should have been submitted weeks ago but since I was having some issues with it, I refused to do so until I was happy with it. I know understand why I was having such intense issues - I wasn't seeing the bigger picture. 

Prior to this revamping, I had an epiphany whilst chatting with my fiance, Kevin. I asked him to describe to me the current state of the economy so I could better understand what has and is going on economy-wise in Canada and in Nova Scotia (Kev's my finance guru). This discussion was what I needed to understand - and I mean completely understand - the trials and difficulties with getting schools and people to comply with the Food and Nutrition Policy for NS Public Schools. 

An insane 40% of chronic diseases including obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and type II diabetes are largely preventable through diet and physical activity. However, simply recommending healthy eating and physical activity will not benefit the population as there are underlying factors that inhibit healthy eating and PA. Geography, demographics, socioeconomic status, employment status of families, single parent households, etc. all contribute to the ability of families everywhere (not just NS) to be able to provide healthy foods and safe environments for physical activity. This is why the SFNP is so important! It ensures that for one meal a day, children who might otherwise not have the opportunity to eat healthy, nutritious foods, get this chance! This allows them to benefit from these nutrients and hopefully helps contribute to their healthy development and the possible reduction of the development of chronic disease later in life through developing health habits at a young age. 

Prior to my discussion with Kev, I was aware of the above predicament, but it wasn't until I was explaining why I wanted to know about the GDP and economic state of Canada (and the world in general) in regards to my research project, that I actually understood the importance of considering the big picture. 

Such an amazing feeling to finally have the mental fog cloud lifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment